Monday, May 3, 2010

Liberal Redneck?

I had gay friends before I moved to California, but when I first got to the paradise known as Santa Cruz, it seemed like almost every new friend I made for a while was homosexual. I've experienced stranger things in life and knowing there was going to be a much larger gay community in California, I brushed it off and thought about how celibacy wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't eventually find a single, straight man suitable of getting to know 'in the biblical sense'. I've never been big on the dating scene anyway so I really wasn't losing out on too much.

My first and best California friend to this day, is a hot gay guy. We worked together at my first job where I soon developed a crush on him before seeing him out at a bar and realizing we were both checking out the same guy. I was shocked but then I looked over and saw another girl we worked with and she was hugging another lady, and not in a just friend way. "Oh wow! Are they gay too?" I asked, still in shock about the first discovery.

"Yes, Redneck. That's why they're all hugged up on each other." Jay had already given me the nickname before, after a few conversations we'd had in the break room at work about the deep fried South. "Those are my housemates, just a house full of homos." 

It wasn't long before I became a fixture in the 'homo house'. We had fun times together and they loved hearing my hillbilly stories about four wheeling escapades and drinking whiskey with the boys and us beating the shit out of one another just for fun. Let's just say, we were all enlightened.

Gay Pride rolled around in the spring. I never had seen people celebrating being gay before but in Cali, these homos do it up right! Gay Pride was the buzz in the air and as it got closer, Jay, my new BFF, asked me, "So, what are you wearing to Gay Pride?" as if my attire was something I'd ever spent much time worrying about.

"Uuuummm, I'm not gay. I thought you had to be gay for that shit."

He laughed at me like he still does to this day. "I swear Redneck, I can't believe the shit that comes out of your mouth sometimes. You should have got out from under that rock a hell of a lot sooner."

Long story short, I went to Gay Pride, got ripped and the homos dressed me up in rainbow beads and bracelets and I had the time of my life. Does that make me a liberal redneck?

I've attached a picture from the Gay Pride parade (2009). That's my darling friend, George, holding up the "We're so gay!" sign. If you want to be yourself and not feel scrutinized for it, live in Cali!

One Love!



No comments: